Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Best Neighbors…

 blogger 114

This is what my happy hour neighbors made for me. Yes, that is what I call my neighbors G & C. At least once a month in the winter and several times a month in the summer, I walk across the street to enjoy happy hour with my 80+ year old neighbors G & C. In the summer we sit out on their patio which is three stories up and watch all the neighborhood action. We live just a few steps away from a lake that has trails for walking, running, biking and roller blading, as well as a band shell that hosts a concert every night from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Never a dull a moment during the warm months.

Every Christmas I make carmels (caramels) for them and G makes me a wooden spoon. I don’t know about you but I can ever seem to have enough wooden spoons. During a recent happy hour G showed me the salad utensils that he had made for one of their children (they have 10 between them…they each lost a spouse 30+ years ago and were lucky enough to find each other 28 years ago). I think he got the hint I wanted a set because of my enthusiastic reaction.

Last week when G & C came over for lunch they brought me my own set, handmade by G. He is an incredibly talented woodworker. LOVE ‘em. Plan to donate all the other salad tools I own. Thank you G!

 blogger 113

blogger 115 

Thanks for stopping by…

Renee @ Cottage Lifestyle

10 comments:

Terri Steffes said...

I think in Alaska they call those salad tossers bear claws. My SIL brought me a set when they went on their cruise. I would so love a neighbor who made me wooden spoons. too cool.

Bonita said...

Those are so cool! I've used something similar on salad when someone invited us to dinner and they were awesome. How blessed you are to have such a handy neighbor!

Susan @ The Good Life! said...

Those tongs are beautiful! You are very lucky with your neighbors! I've got the ones (their 20 something home again kids) who park behind my driveway and I hit them with my big van!

DesignTies said...

You DO have great neighbours!! :-) The salad utensils are really nice. What a thoughtful gift from G&C :-)

And no, you can never have enough wooden spoons!!

Looking forward to seeing where you put Matt's painting :-)

Kelly @ DesignTies

trash talk said...

Those are wonderful...both the salad tossers and your neighbors! What a charming couple. Thanks for sharing. Debbie

The Raggedy Girl said...

How wonderful like Salad Art

Roberta Anne

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

OOOh, you're lucky to have them handmade! I bought a similar set for my husband at the Culinary Institute of America's gift shop in Hyde Park, NY and he loves them.

Anne Marie said...

Those artists always fascinate me at the art fairs don't they?
amazing talent.

jen said...

What a special gift!! Those look wonderful!! How blessed you are to have such sweet neighbors.

Jen

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Those are so awesome - something you'll have forever. Lucky you!