Sunday, January 25, 2009

Been Busy Baking Bread...

I enjoy baking and this winter I have been on a busy baker. I have made many different types of bread but never artisan bread...when I saw the pictures and recipe on High Heels and Pearls' blog...I just had to give it a whirl. The recipe makes four 1-pound loaves and you have up to 14 days to make all four once you make the initial recipe. I chose to make all four at one time and give three to friends. I also made a flaxseed bread (see recipe below), and almond brittle and meatloaf while the bread was rising.
Flaxseed Bread
1 Tablespoon active dry yeast
1 3/4 cup warm water
3 Tablespoons honey or 1/8 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon oil (safflower or olive)
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
3 cups fresh ground whole wheat flour
1 cup flaxseed meal (2/3 cup whole seed flax...note you must grind the flaxseed if you don't purchase it already ground)

1) Grease bread pan
2) Dissolve yeast in water and set aside until bubbly (~5 minutes)
3) Mix in honey or sugar, oil and salt
4) Mix in half of the flour and flaxseed
5) Add the remaining flour and flaxseed a half cup at a time
6) Knead for 10 minutes
7) Place in bread pan and cover, place in warm area and let rise until double
8) Bake at 350 degrees for 40 - 45 minutes
9) Allow to cool 10 minnutes in pan and then remove and place on wire rack

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

These breads all look so yummy!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Terri Steffes said...

I saw this recipe at Brin's but I was wondering if you could replace the white flour with whole wheat?

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I wish I was good at making bread, but alas, not one of my fortes. My baby is allergic to wheat. Yours looks delicious!!

The Raggedy Girl said...

You have been a busy little baker and your bread looks like it came right out of a bakery. How sweet for you to share. I don't imagine you live near me, do you?
Have a great Sunday,
Roberta Anne

Cottage Lifestyle said...

Terri and Bob, my friend Kate and I discussed how much we could alter this recipe to make it healthier. The next time I make it I am going to do about 1/3 of the flour requirement using wheat. I am taking a bread class in a few weeks so I will ask the instructor.

Renee

Jenny said...

Love the blog and loved the artisan bread recipe. Thanks for the link. Happy writing!