Friday, February 20, 2009

Remembering Friends and the 70s...

Yes, these fabrics are from the 70s. My friend Elizabeth made this quilt square in 1976 with the intention of making a quilt. For whatever reason she never made the quilt. Elizabeth died of cancer in 2000 and as she was going through her belongings she came across the square and sent it to me as a keepsake. Elizabeth and I became friends when I lived in the Bay Area and made several trips to Italy together. Whenever I would visit the Bay Area I loved staying at Elizabeth's home in Sausilito...fabulous view of San Francisco. We would make pasta, drink wine and gab about what the future held.

In May, 1999 we were in Italy and she was telling me she didn't feel well...the doctors were telling her it was menopause. When we got back from the trip she went to doctor after doctor until finally in September someone realized she had uterine cancer. They did surgery and she went through chemo but she lost her battle in August, 2000.

I kept the quilt square in my quilting basket until last year when I brought it out and wash it to get rid of the yellowing. I realized at that point that the colors in the quilt square are in my porch and throughout my house, and when I look at it I re-live the 70s. I have decided to frame it along with the handwritten note that came with it and her last email (the note and email won't show as they will be placed behind the quilt square). Now I am on the hunt for a frame that will work best given its dimensions. The picture above gives a true representation of the colors versus the picture below.
FLOWER POWER!
Thanks for stopping by...
Renee @ Cottage Lifestyle

8 comments:

Terri Steffes said...

That is neat that she wanted you to have it. What are you going to do with it?

Country Romantic said...

That is a nice way to remember the good times and your sweet friend. Hope you are having a great day!


~Katherine~
CountryRomantic.blogspot.com

The Raggedy Girl said...

What a wonderful keepsake and I would frame it too.

Have a great weekend from
Roberta Anne

Anonymous said...

Hi Renee

i wouldn't recommend typepad, I am actually trying to work on moving to blogspot, but you know it's just another thing to do...

I like all the features in blogger, just simply not offered in typepad, I like some of the free templates you can use with blogger too...

cheers

Sarah

p.s. love your front door, I really fancy changing mine, but wonder if I would go off red once it was done, how is yours?

Cottage Lifestyle said...

Sarah, thanks for letting me know about typepad…good to know…as it appears there is a fee for typepad and blogger is free. I noticed today on Restyled Home’s blog (http://restyledhome.blogspot.com/) that she had the stories at the bottom of her blog and she uses blogger…so I am going to ask her how she added the posts at the bottom. I have been thinking about trying some of the other blogger templates. There is a website called Pyzam that has a zillion blog templates: http://www.pyzam.com/graphics. Some day when I have time I am going to check out Pyzam’s templates.

I love the red door and it is such a great visual when giving people directions to my home. My summertime porch furniture is white, blue and red so it ties nicely. Additionally it sets the tone for what guests will see when they enter. I get a lot of compliments on it. I have had many folks beg me to keep it red.

Renee
Cottage Lifestyle

Cottage Lifestyle said...

Sarah, I figured out how to add additional post boxes at the end of a post. Go to http://www.linkwithin.com/learn to get the widget.

Renee

DT Computers said...

Thank you for checking out my blog and for becoming a follower..

David

V and Co. said...

yup you're right this would look really good in a hoop! ;)